Date: 7/20/17 8:39 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debi...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Searching for Cook's Petrels
Howdy, Seabirders,

Dave Pereksta’s awesome pelagic trip report from Ventura, July 16th, has many of us scratching our head’s and asking: Could this year be another COOK’S PETREL year similar to 2009?

In 2009, unprecedented numbers of COOK’S PETRELS were seen close to shore. It began in SoCal, but on Shearwater Journeys’ July 31, 2009 Monterey Bay pelagic trip, we also recorded a record 138 Cook’s petrels. The first sightings were only 13.3 miles offshore, Monterey. We haven’t see Cook’s Petrels like we did in 2009 since — think about that!

I fully intend to put in a good search for Cook’s Petrels, and Hawaiian Petrels, too, on our upcoming trips. During this time period in 2009, a Stejneger’s Petrel and Short-tailed Albatross were also seen. We found a SHORT-TAILED ALBATROSS on our September 16, 2009 trip, as well.

Here’s our program of trips: Spaces are available on all trips, except as noted below. We shall cover San Francisco and San Mateo counties. We could even get lucky, and find Cook’s Petrels over the shelf edge on the Farallon Island trips.

FARALLON ISLANDS: August 6 & 13 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m

HALF MOON BAY: August 12 (one space available); September 2, 3, 15, 16; October 7.

Please see our web site for more information:
http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/schedule.html

To read more about the Cook’s Petrel Invasion of 2009, please see these reports:
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/monterey-bay-cooks-july-31-2009-story.html
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/short-tailed-albatross-july-30-2009.html
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/captain-cooks-petrels-rage-on.html
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/august-6-2009-cooks-petrel-chase-trip.html
Cook’s Petrels off Point Pinos:
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/monterey-bay-nearshore-cooks-petrels.html

Short-tailed Albatross seen on Shearwater Journeys’ September 16, 2009 trip:
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/09/sep-16-2009-trip-report-steller-day.html

Farallon Islands reports:
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/farallon-islands-aug-2-2009-awesome-day.html
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2014/07/tufted-puffins-golden-gate-bridge.html

One thing is for certain— there is an awful lot of food out there, even nearshore. Spotters on the Farallon Islands, counted over 250 whales in one day. There’s krill and schooling fish, everywhere, it seems. It couldn’t be better! Many folks hesitated to jump on board for the Cook’s Petrels trips in ’09 and regretted that later. August seems to be the best month, although early September could be good, too. Escape the heat and enjoy a cooling, salty breeze!

As many have heard me say, “It’s all about food.”
Living the Salt Life on this side of the Pacific now,
Debi
DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 42 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper-2019
Galapagos Islands: 30 October - 12 November 2019

Join us on Facebook!