Date: 7/20/17 6:17 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Sparrow ID "quiz" redux
Sorry for a somewhat disappointing end to this "quiz." I hoped that I'd
be able to supply a more definitive answer based on a follow-up visit,
but, well, ... nest predation sometimes happens.

This particular site had two Vesper Sparrow nests fail due to predation,
within 50 m or so of where we found this nest which I *think* belonged
to a Song Sparrow. Location, location, location, as realtors famously
like to say.

But just to give more of a sense of the nest situation, here's an
uncropped version of the same photo that I posted earlier (downscaled in
terms of resolution).

This was as good as I could get with the zoom lens and misbehaving
auto-focus on my Nikon Coolpix L840. I sure do miss my old Canon AE-1
and the Tamron zoom lens that I jammed in a minor fall back in 1987
while doing a bit of no-gear rock-climbing to get what I still regard as
one of my best photos, of a tenacious young Douglas-fir growing out of a
70+ degree rock slope with Liberty Bell (in the North Cascades) in the
background. That was the last time I did any serious photography.

I really miss having a camera with full manual focus. I have no doubt I
could have gotten much better photos of this bird on the nest, with my
old AE-1 and lens. But I sure don't miss the film-developing costs!

Anyway, this photo shows more of the nest situation, in a clump of
non-native grass.The bird is just below dead-center. You can see her eye
if you look closely.

Happy birding,
Joel
--