Date: 7/20/17 2:51 pm
From: Henry Link <linkh...>
Subject: Nesting Mississippi Kites in Greensboro

Six of us (Scott DePue, Matt Wangerin, Roberta Newton, Ann Vansant, Elizabeth Link and I) made a semi-organised search for nesting Mississippi Kites in Greensboro this past Saturday, July 15. A similar search in July 2015 turned up 14 adults and first years and three nests with five nestlings.

We covered some of the same neighborhoods as in 2015 and two new places where birds had been seen this year. The total this year (after a couple of follow-up visits) was 11 adults and one first year. Two nests were located: one on Madison Avenue with at least one nestling and one on Onslow Drive, also with only one confirmed nestling. The Onslow Dr. pair are almost certainly the same birds that Amy Hanson first reported back in May from the Green Valley Swim and Tennis Club, which borders the nest site.

Two other sightings have occurred recently in other areas: one in the Cardinal neighborhood north of the airport and one flying over my backyard in Lindley Park. Given the number of adults seen in different areas it seems probable that there are at least five or six nests in NW Greensboro this year.

Henry Link
Greensboro, NC

Join us on Facebook!