Date: 7/20/17 9:01 am
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: teaching with bad photos
Yeah, Tom, you're right :-)

My field experiences are always picture perfect. Great light, no leaves in
the way, etc. Yeah, right. :-)

In the field I/we do struggle with elusive, puzzling views of birds. We ask
our friends, "Get on that bird up there. I can't see its head. Can you
tell what it is? I think it's may be a vireo, but I can't see enough."
What we end up with over time is a mosaic of glimpses. From them we build a
composite of the whole bird and come to an identification -- or maybe the
bird flies off and we don't know what it was. Marginal photos capture only
a few frames out of that whole field experience. Sometimes they can provide
an answer, but not always.

It can be fun to work on a puzzle together, trying to sort out what we're
seeing. I acknowledge that we've learned more about Empidonax flycatchers
and fall warblers over time by studying photos and specimens.

I guess there's two groups of "students" here. Those who are quite a ways
along the learning curve may jump in and wrestle with the marginal photo,
pointing out the white square patch on the wing (I think I see it. Do you?)
Those who are at the beginning of the learning curve are left saying
"Whaaat? You lost me." Not everyone wants to be able to identify birds by
their underwings alone.

So researchers are working on the puzzle of cancer, or the birth of stars.
Lots of contradictory clues. Experts disagreeing. The public confused.
Only when we have come to some synthesis of the clues and put them in an
order that takes in all the disparate pieces of the puzzle can we tell a
coherent story to the public.

Through research the investigators learn. Through good teaching the layman
learns.

Good puzzling to you,

Paul
Date: Wed Jul 19 2017 22:32 pm
From: larmcqueen AT msn.com

Joel and all,

This is of course, another lesson on the difficulties of photo IDs, and this
was an especially challenge one, due to limitations. Most aspects of the
field are not present in photos, and these were reduced to nearly minimal.
The fun of it is the challenge, and we could be playing more with the
challenge. How about others deliberately posting bad photos on this list,
as a teaching exercise?

Larry

POST: Send your post to <obol...> JOIN OR QUIT:
http://www.freelists.org/list/obol
OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol Contact moderator:
<obol-moderators...>

POST: Send your post to <obol...>