Date: 7/20/17 8:45 am
From: Brian Jones <ravenwolf121...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: No sightings: Columbus Weed Patch news
I know there was a great deal of concern over the work that Pima County
Flood Control District did in the Rillito River at the Columbus Weed Patch
hotspot in order to restore flow capacity in the channel, so I wanted to
provide an update about the results and some upcoming work the District is
being forced to do.

I haven't been to the site myself since the work was done, but one of my
colleagues just sent some photos around that show that the revegetation
efforts are coming along nicely now that the monsoon rains have come.
Trees are bursting out of their anti-browsing cages (which will be removed
soon) and the seeds we planted are sprouting. The water harvesting basins
the District created were filled with tens of thousands of tadpoles.

As a quasi-official liaison between the District and the birding community,
I wanted to make you aware of a situation that has arisen out there. For
those who visit this area regularly or watch it closely, you may see some
construction folks out there in the coming week or two. Without going into
a lot of detail, Flood Control placed the roughly 270,000 cubic yards of
material removed from the main channel to a location nearby where it was
distributed to create a low, flat, "hill", upon which
restoration/revegetation efforts were initiated. Subsequently, the Arizona
Department of Environmental Quality issued the District a violation because
the inspector felt that the District didn't take adequate measures to
ensure that some of the material removed from the channel wouldn't end up
getting washed back into the channel. The Flood Control District strongly
disagrees with this determination, but we are currently formulating a plan
to abate the violation. This will require the District to construct a berm
around the piled material to prevent it from washing back into the main
channel. The District is currently trying to figure out the least invasive
way of accomplishing this goal. At the same time, the District is
consulting with a biology professor at the UofA to not only maintain the
newly created toad habitat, but potentially improve it.

Please be aware that the District is NOT going to be significantly altering
what we've done out there and that we are not doing this additional work of
our own volition.

For the birds!

Brian Jones
Tucson, AZ
--------
I shall pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can
do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let
me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.