Date: 7/19/17 12:52 pm
From: Russ Namitz <namitzr...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Fernhill Red-breasted Merganser....
Hello all~

Following up on Dave Irons's inquiry about the July Red-breasted Merganser at Fernhill Wetlands in Forest Grove that I originally reported (again) on July 4th. My sighting was brief of an actively diving female merganser on the far side of the pond through my scope. It was associating with female Cinnamon Teal and was slightly larger than these ducks. I continued on to the Purple Martin boxes to try for a photo, but was unable to refind the merganser for the duration of my visit.

Subsequent visits by other birders with photos have produced a female/immature Hooded Merganser. Could I have misidentified the merganser? It is certainly possible. My gut impression was a Red-breasted Merganser, especially since there was one here in May, but I may have gotten it wrong. I don't feel that I did, but evidence points to the contrary. My apologies if it was a wild merganser chase.

Russ Namitz

Oregon

Join us on Facebook!