Date: 7/17/17 1:27 pm
From: Mark J. Greenfield <markgreenfield...>
Subject: [obol] Lost Lagoon Farm Bird List for July 1-15, 2017
Below is the bird list for Lost Lagoon Farm, Gillihan Road, Sauvie Island for the first half of July. I identified 51 species. Noticeably absent were the belted kingfisher, pileated woodpecker and swainsons thrush (which was heard almost daily during the 2nd half of June). We checked our martin gourds and have baby martins ranging from several days old to about 19 days old (nearly ready to fledge). Six of the 12 gourds are occupied. Baby swifts are chirping in our chimney, and baby birds of many other species have already fledged. We seem to have a great number of common yellowthroats and house wrens this year. Barn swallow numbers remain far below what they were several years ago.

For those who do not know it, we remain in the process of converting the northernmost three acres of our property (which include the pond) into native habitat. We have likely planted over 3000 trees, shrubs, ferns, perennials, bulbs, etc,, as part of a project we began in 2005. We are getting the desired results, not only with birds but with frogs, turtles and other species.

Great blue heron
Mallard
Wood duck
Canada goose
Red-tailed hawk
Osprey
Bald eagle
Cooper’s hawk
American kestrel
Turkey vulture
Mourning dove
Eurasian collared dove
California quail
Rufous hummingbird
Annas hummingbird
Vauxs swift
Northern flicker
Downy woodpecker
Hairy woodpecker
Willow flycatcher
Western wood pewee
Warbling vireo
California scrub jay
Common raven (it seems to reappear about this time every year)
American crow
Barn swallow
Violet-green swallow
Tree swallow
Purple martin
Black-capped chickadee
White breasted nuthatch
Red-breasted nuthatch (first appearance in about a year)
Brown creeper
Bewicks wren
House wren
American robin