Date: 7/17/17 11:32 am
From: Karen Holliday <ladyhawke1...>
Subject: ASCA Field Trip Report
Please accept my apologies for not posting this sooner.  I've been super busy and totally forgot.  Better late than never!  This is always a fun trip with lots of great birds and terrific birding buddies!Karen Holliday

ASCA Field TripJuly 8, 2017Dr. Lester Sitzes, III Bois D’Arc Lake WMAHope, AR Saturday, July 8th a caravan of birders leftLittle Rock and headed south to the Bois D’Arc Wildlife Management Area.  A quick stop at the McDonald’s in Hope nettedus additional birders and a tree full of noisy Great-tailed Grackles.  At the WMA, we found more birders, for atotal of twenty-two participants.  Wewere very excited to have Drew and Sherry Phillips join us.  Drew is a former president of ASCA.  Now that both are retired, they plan to startbirding again.   Native Water Lotus plants thrive in Bois D’Arc Lake.  Colorful Purple Gallinules and their fluffytan-colored chicks were busily running across the large saucer-shaped leaves pickingup seeds and catching bugs.  The lesscolorful Common Gallinules spent their time swimming between the lotus leaves,making them harder to spot.  One family includedmom, dad, and eight tiny adorable black chicks with their orange-red heads andbills.  A Least Bitterns was heard, butrefused to show itself.  The lake is alsoa favorite for numerous Anhingas, Snowy, Green, Great, Great Blue, and LittleBlue Herons, plus several Cattle Egret rookeries containing several hundredCAEG and their young.  Mixed in were atotal of four Black-crowned Night-Herons, both adult and juvenile. Tree, Cliff, and Barn Swallows perched on many of the deadtrees in the lake.  A Least Tern flewover as it made its way around the lake. We had both adult and immature Bald Eagles.  Woods birds included Orchard Orioles,Prothonotary, Pine, and Yellow-Throated Warblers, Downey, Red-headed,Red-bellied, and Pileated Woodpeckers. A very small alligator was the only gator we spotted.  An adult Purple Gallinule was very upsetabout the gator.  It ran around on thelotus leaves looking down into the water at the gator while continuallyscreaming an alarm call at the top of its lungs.  The gator finally got the message and left.  Toward the end of the morning, Charles Millsfound and photographed a very rare Two-Striped Forceptail Dragonfly.  It has been documented in only six Arkansascounties! Several of us ended the trip by stopping at Tailgater’s BurgerCompany in Hope for lunch.   The owner was making the rounds of the tables,visiting with his customers, and we told him we eat at his restaurant after ourbirding trips to Hope.  He was veryappreciative and said birdwatchers are always welcome.  Total bird count for the day was 48 species.   Karen HollidayASCA Field Trip CoordinatorLittle Rock

Join us on Facebook!