Date: 7/17/17 4:45 am
From: PAUL ROBERTS <phawk254...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [Arlington Birds] id again? [1 Attachment]
Hi Kathy,

Black-crowned Night Heron are a bit like Red-tailed Hawks. They don't start molting into their breeding plumage until they are roughly a year old. Thus you have the juvenile birds (hatched that year) that are streaked grayish/brownish and look nothing like the adult plumage, and year-old birds that look somewhat like adults but are not as crisp and clear in their plumage. They look dirty white; not bright white and crisp black, and they don't have nuptial plumage (the head plumes, etc). They molt into adult plumage during the first half of their second year. And then you have the bright, crisp, red-eyed adults that look spectacular.

Black-crowned is our area are not doing well at all, so appreciate them while we can. Recent studies (e.g., by the Center for Conservation Biology at William & Mary) suggest that some Yellow-crowned and Black-crowned Night Heron can and do breed successfully in their first year. (Something that holds true for Redtails as well, but is rare.)

Paul M. Roberts
Medford, MA
<phawk254...>

> On July 16, 2017 at 9:55 PM "'<kharmony47...>' <kharmony47...> [arlingtonbirds]" <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>

> Is this BCNH juvvie, adult or ????..... is there a tween?.....never saw these colors on an adult or these feathers on a juvvie...... thanks again, Kathy[bcnhyates7-14-17.jpg]

Join us on Facebook!