Date: 7/16/17 10:01 pm
From: Deepa Mohan <mohandeepa...>
Subject: Re: Reporting accurately on eBird
This discussion has been extremely interesting to a regular user of eBird
halfway across the world...and I have shared some of the emails with my
birding community in Bangalore.

In the past decade, in India (as you probably are all aware, Indians are
good writers of software) we have experimented with many kinds of software
to document bird-related data...from the simple keeping of bird-sighting
lists, to the complex data analysis that is made possible when the database
is strong. eBird is emerging as probably the most user-friendly
birding-data site which has the huge further value of being used across the
world.

Oh yes, from the time one first starts using eBird, questions arise like a
flock of disturbed quail! The many people who work for eBird do strive to
answer them, too. I am very lucky to know several people who are very
knowledgeable about eBird...and I get a face-to-face (or email) explanation
that is very helpful. This underscores Edge's point...many of us like
solitary birding, but there is great value to birding in a group. Being
initially inhibited about talking to people, I did a lot of solitary
birding in St.Louis. But when I joined the beginner birding walks that
Forest Park Forever organizes, I benefited so much! So many people share
their knowledge on these walks, and having got to know more birders, I was
also able to bird in areas which are only accessible by cars, thanks to
their generously giving me rides. I am a great believer in group birding
now, in any country I am in....when it's possible.

To get back to eBird: as a user and a friend of many other "ordinary"
birders who use it, I find the following concerns.

1. As a birder, I am not, initially, used to counting numbers and observing
other details about the birds I see. I then worry about how to mention
numbers on eBird, especially with waterfowl. Suhel Qader, who heads eBird
India, explained why mentioning an approximate number is important: X could
be anything from 0 to infinity; an approximate narrows the number down to
much nearer what was seen.

2. When I see an unusual bird, as a beginner birder, I may not even be
aware that the bird is a rare one for the region! So if I immediately come
up against a "rare" filter, my usual diffidence may (does!) result in my
not reporting the bird at all, under the assumption that I must have been
mistaken. Recently, I saw what I thought was the Malabar Lark, but eBird
did not have the species listed for the area. I was not certain about my
sighting, and so changed the bird name to that of the Tawny Lark, which is
found in the region. I was the most "experienced" birder in my group, so I
could not ask anyone else. I did have photos of the bird...but even the
experts I showed them to, could not tell for sure, which bird it was.

3. The re-setting of filters give rise to queries after a period of time
which one is not always answer satisfactorily. Recently, the acceptable
numbers for some birds were re-set in India...so what was an accepted
record earlier was suddenly queried again. Now, personally, I keep bird
lists mainly because I cannot rely on my erratic memory! So asking me if I
am sure if I saw X numbers, or Y bird, in 2013 ---results in my
responding that I cannot be sure. The sighting, earlier validated, is now
invalidated because I cannot provide an acceptable response. Certainly, I
don't feel good about this, though I accept this. Eg. Certain kinds of
ducks were seen in thousands in the lakes around my city (Bangalore, in
south India). Now, hundreds are considered good numbers; so the filter is
re-set, and I am queried.

4.Most eBird volunteers who ask for information are very polite and couch
their queries in terms that do not give offence, but there is the odd query
which takes a less-than-civil tone. I had one query which demanded (yes!) a
photograph. Certainly, everyone knows that not all the birds one sees can
be photographed (or even properly observed, sometimes...we make ids on the
basis of the "jizz" of the bird) . My feedback about this was taken very
seriously by the eBird India team, and volunteers have been given
guidelines about how to query a sighting. Unfortunately I still find that
many people are not happy about such queries. This leads to point 5.

5. I am increasingly, finding some birders not reporting unusual sightings,
rather than face queries...even when they are sure about the bird they have
seen. To me, this is one of the major drawbacks of the system of querying
sightings. "Oh, some eBird volunteer will be 'after me' to prove what I
saw," said someone recently. "So I just don't put it in the list." This, to
me, negates the very reason for the existence of eBird, because if people
cannot feel comfortable about recording what they saw, we are looking at
data that will not be accurate.

6. Sometimes a very unusual bird sighting is not accepted until photographs
are provided. Some of my birder friends are upset, for example, that a bird
called the Racket-tailed Drongo, not usually found in the Bangalore area,
was seen by them; but it was only after photographic evidence was provided,
more than a year later, that eBird accepted that this bird is now a
resident in a particular birding hotspot (Valley School area) in the
outskirts of our city. These people feel that their knowledge was
questioned and they do not want to use eBird any more...and since they are
experienced birders, this is a loss to eBird. In the recent past, we have
had many unusual/vagrant birds visiting areas they have been seen in
before...their being rare or unusual does not mean that they are not
present.

I do understand that some of query and validation is definitely needed on
eBird, but it is still a tough tightrope to walk between trying to get
information and giving offence!

Cheers, Deepa.

I am attaching a photo of two Racket-tailed Drongos in the rain..... one
with its lovely 'musical note' tail developed, and the other with it still
growing out. This was taken in a place called Top Slip, in the neighbouring
state of Tamil Nadu.

In this place, I am thankful that they are Expected Birds and I will not
get a query from eBird!...and this feeling of mine sums up the difficulty
that both users and the team working for eBird face, with regard to queries!

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/
ABA Birding Code of Ethics
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html

Join us on Facebook!