Date: 7/16/17 8:58 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] [Fwd: Black-crowned Night Heron outside Monmouth]
-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
To: MidValley Birds <birding...>
Subject: Black-crowned Night Heron outside Monmouth
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 20:55:20 -0700

Hi all,

I spent 7 hours today doing a Band-tailed Pigeon count along Ash Creek
near Monmouth, in Polk County. The most exciting thing was shortly
before sunrise when a GREAT HORNED OWL glided down to grab a
gopher-sized mammal out of a pasture.

The most surprising bird detection of the day was about an hour into the
survey (so around 6:30 am), I heard several calls from a BLACK-CROWNED
NIGHT-HERON.

A pair of adult CHIPPING SPARROWS provided incidental entertainment
throughout the morning. It was especially fun to watch one fly up
several times from the road to pursue a single flying insect. When it
finally caught it, it flew straight off up the hill, where presumably it
was feeding young in a nest.

Happy birding,
Joel

--