Date: 7/16/17 7:15 pm
From: Rodger Rang <rrang...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Eagle Marsh-- July 16, 2017 PM
I walked the main drive of EM tonight past the barn to the woods and back (8:15-9:15) but struck out again on my targets of Black-crowned Night Heron and Sedge Wren.  The wrens have been a little frustrating this summer, as I'm aware of at least one report by Ed Powers of two birds singing there recently.  But I've checked regularly, before and after his report, almost daily and at several times of day, with no luck.  Closest thing I could come up with were the Common Yellowthroat vocalizations that sometimes suggest the end of a SEWR song.  His birds must've been post-or-failed-breeding wanderers that just didn't stick on their way south.

Once I got past the barn, it became a little harder to hear things other than all the blackbirds and starlings that were coming in for the night.  But it was indeed a beautiful night to be out, and I enjoyed my walk despite a lackluster bird list:

Canada Goose- 16
Mute Swan-1
Wood Duck- 15
Mallard- 10
Double-crested Cormorant- 1 flying east to join his buds at Serv-All
Great Blue Heron- 10
Great Egret- 1
Green Heron- 1
Common Gallinule- 1 adult calling, gathering up the young'ns, no doubt, to hide them from the evil birder
Killdeer- 1
Mourning Dove- 1
Common Nighthawk- 1
Willow Flycatcher- 1
Eastern Kingbird- 4
Tree Swallow- 6
Northern Rough-winged Swallow- 4
Barn Swallow- 35
Marsh Wren- 6
Wood Thrush- 1
American Robin- 5
European Starling- 2000
Common Yellowthroat- 6
Song Sparrow- 10
Indigo Bunting- 6
Red-winged Blackbird- 1000
Common Grackle- 500
House Finch- 5
American Goldfinch- 2

Non-avian highlight:  Three mink pounced out into the road near the gate before quickly receding on seeing me.  On walking past the area, I flushed quite a few young Leopard Frogs and wondered if perhaps the mammals were catching them for dinner.

Rodger Rang
Fort Wayne

Join us on Facebook!