Date: 7/16/17 5:41 pm
From: Caleb Centanni <caleb...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Lane, Benton, Marion today: Corrections
Alan mentioned there were more like 50 Leasts at FR, which sounds good to
me too.

Some of my numbers for shorebirds may be confusing to read. There was one
Semi Sandpiper, eight Semi Plovers, etc.

Good birding folks,

Caleb Centanni

On Jul 16, 2017 3:11 PM, "Caleb Centanni" <caleb...> wrote:

Hi all,

Alan Contreras, Tye Jeske, Evan, and I birded the wetlands at Fern Ridge,
Finley NWR, and Ankeny NWR today. Here's a summary of shorebirds at Ankeny
and Fern Ridge:

Fern Ridge:

Killdeer--30
Semipalmated Plover--7
Greater Yellowlegs--40
Spotted Sandpiper--4
Western Sandpiper--120ish
Least Sandpiper--20
SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER--1
Dowitchers--30
WILSON'S PHALAROPE--8

Ankeny (all Eagle Marsh):

Killdeer--20
G Yellowlegs--2
Least--40
Western--5
Wilson's Phal--1 juvenile

In other birds, one Willow Flycatcher singing on Royal Trail at FR. A BC
NIGHT-HERON and a Bittern flushed from the marshes. 14 Pelicans, 2 Wood
Ducks, 2 Hooded Mergansers. A Great-horned Owl appeared to be hunting from
a snag above the ponds in broad daylight. 4 Virginia Rails. Several Purple
Martin's and Cliff Swallows.

Finley was mostly dry but for young Coots and 2 Cinnamon Teal.

Ankeny (Pintail) held maybe 20 PB Grebes, including young, and also Coots.
Mostly surprising was five recently fledged RUDDY DUCK chicks, along with
two bright basic-plumage males. 8 Wood Ducks.

Eagle had little other than shorbs, Cliff Swallows.

Good birding,

Caleb Centanni

Join us on Facebook!