Date: 7/16/17 5:36 pm
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Wyoming Hereford Ranch and Reservoir 1
Got an early start today and it paid off -- a nice Blue Grosbeak pair just as I got underway. Birds were still plentiful on WHR reservoir #1 and I found three Dickcissels still hanging around the recently-hayed fields. A new bird for me, at this location, was a Blue Jay. I have several in our neighborhood in the city, but cannot remember seeing any at WHR in the past.

47 species for the day.

On the road between the reservoir and Campstool Road (19 species):

Swainson's Hawk 2; Mourning Dove 8; American Kestrel 1; Western Kingbird 2; Northern Rough-winged Swallow 2; Tree Swallow 1; Barn Swallow 2; Cliff Swallow 17; American Robin 11; Grasshopper Sparrow 1; Lark Sparrow 3; Vesper Sparrow 7; Spotted Towhee 2; Blue Grosbeak 3 [Pair plus one male]; Dickcissel 3; Red-winged Blackbird 12; Western Meadowlark 13; Brown-headed Cowbird 2; American Goldfinch 1.

At WHR Res #1 (23 species):

Canada Goose 87; Mallard 48 [14 adults, 34 ducklings]; Western Grebe 6; Double-crested Cormorant 28; American White Pelican 11; Great Blue Heron 1; Black-crowned Night-Heron 2; Swainson's Hawk 1; American Avocet 2; Killdeer 12; Western Sandpiper 3; Wilson's Phalarope 2; Spotted Sandpiper 2; Franklin's Gull 4; Ring-billed Gull 16; Western Kingbird 5; Eastern Kingbird 1; Northern Rough-winged Swallow 100 [Birds were swarming over the reservoir and an adjacent ridge - 100 is a low estimate. Of the ones clearly seen, there were a few bank swallows, and the rest were northern rough-winged swallows. No cliff or barn swallows noted.] Bank Swallow 6; European Starling 20; Red-winged Blackbird 7; Common Grackle 3; Brown-headed Cowbird 1; American Goldfinch 1.

At WHR (25 species):

Great Blue Heron 1; Swainson's Hawk 2; Red-tailed Hawk 3; Eurasian Collared-Dove 4; Mourning Dove 11; Belted Kingfisher 1; Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 4; Western Wood-Pewee 2; Willow Flycatcher 3; Western Kingbird 6 [Four were observed harassing two red-tailed hawks]; Eastern Kingbird 1; Blue Jay 1; Northern Rough-winged Swallow 6; Barn Swallow 29; Cliff Swallow 5; swallow sp. 60 [A mix of Barn, Cliff and Rough-winged swallows, difficult to sort them out. Many immature birds.]; House Wren 10; American Robin 18; European Starling 30; Yellow Warbler 5; Song Sparrow 1; Red-winged Blackbird 3; Common Grackle 2; House Finch 2; American Goldfinch 8; House Sparrow 11.

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Join us on Facebook!