Date: 7/16/17 5:23 pm
From: Andy Keister <akeister110...>
Subject: Re: Roseate Spoonbill, Conejohela Flats, Lancaster County
I was unable to chase the Roseate Spoonbill yesterday, so I was eager to
get down there early this morning. I saw the reports of it being seen
going to roost with the Great Egrets around 8:15 pm the previous evening
near the Boro Park. Based on past experience with roosting egrets, I
expected them to fly off some time between first light and sunrise. I got
there at 5:15 and as soon as I was able to locate the roosting egrets, I
saw the spoonbill. Soon after, Dave Kerr arrived and he observed it
through my scope. He set up his scope and we watched it preen and stretch
its wings until it finally flew off at 5:44. It headed downriver but we
had a good view of the area below the roost site and Dave and I never saw
it fly any farther south than our location. I stayed in the park area
until 9 am, but took one short trip to the boat launch to check things
out. I believe it's still in the area, just unseen somewhere in the maze
of islands and channels out there. But if I'm wrong, drive to Camp Hill,
or Everglades National Park.

Andy Keister

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Zachary Millen <zjmillen...> wrote:

> All,
>
> Despite long hours of observation today, the spoonbill was only reported by
> two observers in flight at 5:44am while coming from roost, and at 10am from
> a location on the York bank of the Susquehanna, looking at the river side
> of the flats from a good distance. At least one birder covered the flats
> for 4 hours by kayak, and coverage from shore at either the Blue Rock Rd
> boat launch or Washington Boro Park was constant all day. It was seen 5-6
> times in flight from shore throughout the day yesterday, but only the one
> time today before 6am. Numerous non-birders in kayaks were told to report
> back if a large, pink bird was seen. I personally believe the bird is no
> longer present at this location, but I would love to be proven wrong!
>
> Zach Millen
>

> On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Dave Kerr <Dsktc...> wrote:
>
> > Andy and I saw it on the roost NW of Washington Boro Park.
> > After stretching its wings a few times, it flew off at 0544.
> >
> > We have not seen it since. I am currently at the Blue Rock Boat Launch.
> >

> > Dave Kerr
> > Carlisle

Join us on Facebook!