Date: 7/16/17 3:43 pm
From: matt V. <fickity...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Yuma County recent sightings
Good afternoon,

Last Sunday, July 9th, I noticed the beginning of a small movement of
landbirds. In the Roll/Wellton area, stops at the former Streak-backed
Oriole spot, Green Acres adult RV park, and Effie May migrant trap found
many multiple Bullock's Orioles, and a few Western Tanagers, and
Black-headed Grosbeaks at all locations. Dome Valley feedlot had an early
and first of Autumn (FOA) Solitary Sandpiper.

On Friday July 14, Brian Johnson found an adult SNOWY PLOVER in a flooded
field west of AVE 8E and 16th ST. The bird continued on July 15, and I
obtained many, many photos. Also in the field 7-15: first of Autumn
Long-billed Dowitcher, a late Wilson's Phalarope, nearly 100 Least
Sandpipers, ~20 Western Sandpiper, 2 Western Willet, 11 Greater Yellowlegs,
1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Spotted Sandpiper, and multiple Black-necked Stilts
and Killdeer. I rechecked Green Acres in Wellton and found only 1 Bullocks
Oriole. Highlight was a FOA SELASPHOROUS Hummingbird.
In the evening on 7-15, I checked areas south of town. In the neighborhood
at AVE C and Pluto Dr., I was elated to find and photograph an adult
ZONE-TAILED HAWK!!! This bird is more than likely the same individual
found by Henry and Suzanne Detwiler way back in February. Whether it is
lurking, or has bred and there are more/has hybridized with another species
is as yet unknown.

Today 7/16, the two Brown Pelicans continue at Mesquite Lake overlook,
INWR. Blue Grosbeaks were conspicuous and singing today, they have been
silent for weeks... A check of flooded fields west of AZ Western College
found 6 Greater, and 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, 2 Western Willet, and 11
Long-billed Dowitchers. There were no birds at the field west of 8E, and
the Snowy Plover and diverse flock of Shorebirds were gone.

Matt Victoria
Mesa del Sol
Yuma, AZ 85367

My photos can be seen here: https://mattv.smugmug.com/