Date: 7/16/17 2:46 pm
From: Kimberly Jannarone <kimberlyjannarone...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Buena Vista bird walk
This afternoon a group of about a dozen people joined me for a Nature in the City bird walk of Buena Vista Park. Birding during a hot, windless afternoon siesta hour, we were actually rewarded by a couple of great sightings, including a Red-Shouldered hawk who was weathering a mob of angry birds, including two Hooded Orioles.

We got to know the local birds, mapping out the vertical layers of the park: Pygmy Nuthatches at the top, Juncos and California Towhees at the bottom, and the middle layer full of Bushtits, Chickadees, and newly fledged Scrub Jays, including two that were foraging on bees from a colony in a tree trunk. During the last few minutes of the walk, a Nuttall's woodpecker started calling, and a Stellar's Jay flew by.

All in all, a brief visit to a big park, with rewarding views of the resident birds, the city, and the beautiful new habitat at Adah's Stairwell on Waller Street.

Happy summer birding,
Kimberly Jannarone

http://www.yahoogroups.com/

<*> Your email settings: