Date: 7/16/17 10:57 am
From: Kaaren Perry <surfbird1...> [slocobirding] <slocobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [slocobirding] Lucerne overlook, Cayucos. 7/15
Last evening I made a brief stop at the overlook at the north end of Lucerne Rd. in Cayucos. Hundreds of Heermann’s Gulls and Elegant Terns were roosting on the beach and nearby cliffs. Adult terns were noisily calling and the scattered juveniles peeping and demanding to be fed. A nice way to end the day!

While scanning the tern flock I noticed one with a bright red/orange bill and red legs with a slight spot of black on the tarsus . The legs of this species are usually black. Completely red is considered rare by Cornell’s, "Birds of North America". I see this rather infrequently and it is something I find fun to look for when the Elegant Terns are present. (photo)

An estimated 150 Heermann’s Gull were seen, one juvenile was in the flock.

Kaaren Perry
Morro Bay
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaarenp/

Join us on Facebook!