Date: 7/16/17 10:10 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Kaneland White Winged Dove Continues Sunday 7-16-17
Hello Bird People,

This has been reported on ebird but I'll do the same here for those
interested & those who may not look at ebird. I have put off this
Dove search for a few days but today Bob Erickson & I went to Kaneland
to look for the White Winged Dove. Arrived at the west end of the
cemetery & saw that Leo M & Walt were already there. Leo said that the
person who fills the feeders had seen the Dove earlier but it was not
present at 7:15 a.m. when Bob & I got there. Mourning Doves & other
birds were either at or under the feeders while more Mourning Doves
were on the wires along Main. Then Jim T arrived having already
checked the grain storage area but did not see the Dove there either.

Bob then took a walk toward the grain area & soon thereafter the WHITE
WINGED DOVE came in to the feeder area & landed on one of the feeders
which was interesting as none of the Mourning Doves ate from the
actual feeders but looked for seeds on the ground. Leo called Bob & he
hurried back in time to see the W.W. Dove which was present at the
feeders & the tree by the feeders from 7:45 until about 7:55 a.m.
after which we could no longer find it. It may have flown out the
"back door" where we could not see it leave or was hidden in a nearby
tree?

Thanks to Leo & another birder who saw the Dove fly in & called the
rest of us over to see it from where we had been checking elsewhere.
Also, thanks to Bob for leaving which made the Dove fly in although
Leo's quick call got Bob back in plenty of time.

Next Bob & I went to Afton F.P. but water levels were still low & the
only shorebirds seen were
Killdeer (4), Spotted Sandpiper (4-AD & 1 small young), Solitary
Sandpiper (1) & Least Sandpiper (5)

Bird-Of-The-Day to the White Winged Dove which was a new Illinois
"lifer" for Bob & so a big deal.
Runner-Up to the Collared Dove seen along Main just west of the
feeders by the cemetery.
It was a 4 Dove species day (also saw Rock Pigeons) which I doubt has
ever happened to me before in Illinois.

Al Stokie
In Kane & DeKalb Co's today although not for very long

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: