Date: 7/16/17 10:01 am
From: Jeff Timmons <jeffreytimmons...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Black-necked Stilts - Madison County - Successful Nesting Confirmed
Per my prior emails I have been trying to monitor the Blacked-necked Stilts
in the field on the north side of Anderson. This field is pretty low and
especially this year has held a lot of water. There is a mound in the
middle that always stays dry. The field almost dried up but then monsoon
season started and it still has a lot of water. There was one bird that
was constantly sitting on the south east corner of the mound. I left for
vacation and when I came back there was more water and the birds had moved
back a bit. The field is now growing a lot of vegetation and cattails.
However, I was able to get a quick glimpse of two young birds this past
week. It was great to confirm that they have successfully nested. I am not
sure if others are interested or not but I will warn you that with the
vegetation I have only seen the young once and even the adults are very
difficult to find right now. If the field starts to dry up it may pull the
birds closer to the road and more in the open. I would say you have 50/50
chance at seeing the adults at this point. Easiest way to explain the
location is to click on the eBird link below and click on the map hyperlink.
Birds are in the middle of the north side and either behind the mound in the
middle or to the east/right of it.

https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38105314

Jeff Timmons

Anderson, IN