Date: 7/16/17 9:18 am
From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant...>
Subject: [obol] Yesterdays's Portland Audubon field trip to Mt Adams
Casey Cunningham and I lead a Portland Audubon group up to Mt Adams yesterday. The slow birding gave us plenty of time to look at plants which is what we had been hoping for.

Trout Lake Natural Area Preserve was by far the birdiest spot and we cumulatively saw/heard about 40 species there. Gray Catbirds were zipping by a few times, never yielding really good looks. We did get good looks at a MacGillivray's, 1 Hermit and several Hermit x Townsend's Warbler (on both ends of the spectrum), a few Nashville Warblers and 3 actively singing Lazuli Buntings. We also heard a Sora.

The highlight at Takhlakh Lake was a brood of Barrow's Goldeneye and Gray Jay. At Takh Takh Meadow, a Lincoln's Sparrow perched up, but it was pretty buggy, so we moved on quickly.

Horseshoe Lake yielded in-bloom White Rhododendron, Four-spotted Skimmer and Crimson-ringed Whiteface and a superbly perched up Lincoln's Sparrow.

A male Sooty Grouse was near the intersection FR23 & FR2334.

Stefan Schlick
Hillsboro, OR

Join us on Facebook!