Date: 7/16/17 9:18 am
From: <rlshonkw...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET JxP, Saturday, 15 July (with a little from Tuesday the 11th): A few notable birds and some good butterflies
I birded Chicago's Jackson Park yesterday covering 63rd Street Beach, the north lake front to 59th, Wooded Island/Bobolink Meadow, the inner harbor and the west golf course. The time of year I visit the park mostly for insects but also check on the breeding birds and look for any strays showing up at unexpected times.
First the birds. I birded on Tuesday but didn't get around to making a report on IBET. The most noticeable sighting on Tuesday was a female DICKCISSEL at 63rd Street Beach, though I didn't realize that that's what it was until I got home. There was an adult male and 2 juvenile BALTIMORE ORIOLES feeding at the top of a tree among some dead branches and some with leaves. I started taking pictures of the birds when they would appear in the open. I took one shot of the male and a yellowish bird to its right, which I thought was a one of the juveniles (I could only see its underside). I didn't look real close at the shot when I cropped it and put it in my eBird report but when I looked at it again I noted that the beak was completely wrong for an oriole and the faint facial markings indicated that I had a Dickcissel instead. The male that was in the meadow, btw, hasn't been heard for a while now. I also had my FOY BANK SWALLOW in the Wooded Island area Tuesday. There were at least 2 at the beach yesterday. The male and female EASTERN BLUEBIRDS that are trying to nest in the crossbar of one of the soccer goals are still present. Last year the big loud music festival held on the soccer fields in July scared off a pair trying to nest in one of the goals. It was feared that the same thing happened this year as they weren't seen or heard right after the fest, but they were seen by the Audubon group last Saturday and I saw the female and heard the male on Tuesday. I didn't have them yesterday but I got to that area late in the afternoon. A BELTED KINGFISHER showed up Tuesday around Wooded Island and was still present yesterday. Yesterday I found a Trail's type flycatcher feeding among fallen branches and vegetation along the shore just southwest of the Darrow Bridge. One expects a Willow Flycatcher but the habitat doesn't really seem right. There are a lot of juvenile swallows in the park, including some BARN SWALLOWS still in the nest that are visible under the west side of the Darrow Bridge. Watching some juvenile ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS perched on a fence by the museum was entertaining. A few were figuring out how to get food on their own, making short flights to grab something flying by but most were waiting for mom or dad. Whenever another juvenile would land next to one it would momentarily beg it for food until it saw that it was another juvenile. A House Sparrow landed by one and the juvenile swallow begged it too! There are many juvenile BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS in the park. Most are feeding on their own but I saw one being fed by a RED-EYED VIREO. There are at least 7 male INDIGO BUNTINGS singing in the park. I had 5 in the Wooded Island/Bobolink Meadow area and 2 on the golf course yesterday. There may be more, since in the recent past I've had a couple around the inner harbor. The SWAMP SPARROW continues in the meadow.
Yesterday was a good day for butterflies in quality if not in variety/quantity. I only had 16 species but there were some good ones including a lifer. At 63rd street Beach I saw a flying butterfly that looked brown in flight. I assumed it would be a buckeye. Fortunately it landed near by and I could see it was a BRONZED COPPER. This is only the second one that I've seen. My lifer was near the woods north of the meadow last summer. This one gave me good shots both closed and opened winged. My best dragonfly was at the beach: my first HALLOWEEN PENNANT in the park this year. I also had a WILD INDIGO DUSKYWING at the beach and another on Wooded Island. There were 4 AMERICAN SNOUTS on Wooded Island, too. Last summer I had big yellow butterflies zoom by me without stopping on two occasions. They looked way too big to be Clouded Sulphurs but I couldn't be sure what they were. Yesterday, as I approached the north end of Bobolink meadow I saw two big yellow butterflies flying around just south of the woods. Then one went left and the other right and disappeared. I was very frustrated! I walked back south to see if the one that went right headed that way. No luck. So I went back north and there was one flying around. I saw it go down and not come back up, so I headed that way. I knew the general area. Part way there I saw an Indigo Bunting singing out in the open in sun light. I had to stop for that shot; my best ever of this species! Moving on I was a bit worried that I would flush the butterfly, but then I noticed a greenish-yellow patch among the grass and there it was. I didn't have a field guide along to spare my back but I knew I hadn't seen it before. It was a CLOUDLESS SULPHUR. Though it was late afternoon/early evening by the time I finished covering Wooded Island/Bobolink Meadow I continued on to the inner harbor and golf course in hopes of adding some butterflies. I haven't seen a Hackberry Emperor this year and they are often found at the berm on the west course. I didn't find any but I found a nice fresh COMMON SOOTYWING there that aloud good photos. I'll give my complete insect list from yesterday below. The butterfly bushes are just beginning to bloom.

Butterflies:
Black Swallowtail: 10
Cabbage White: 135
Clouded Sulphur: 6
Cloudless Sulphur: 2
Bronze Copper: 1
Summer Azure: 6
Pearl Crescent: 2
Question Mark: 1
Red Admiral: 4
American Lady: 3
Painted Lady: 1
lady sp: 1 (hind wings too chewed up to tell what it was!)
Common Buckeye: 20
American Snout: 4
Monarch: 23
Wild Indigo Duskywing: 2
Common Sootywing: 1
grass skipper sp: 1

Moths:
Raspberry Pyrausta (Pyrausta signatalis): 1
Chickweed Geometer (Haematopis grataria): 1
Hummingbird Clearwing (Hemaris thysbe): 1
Clover Looper (Caenurgina crassiuscula: 1

Damselflies:
Lyre-tipped Spreadwing: 14
Familiar Bluet: 1
Tule Bluet: 4