Date: 7/15/17 7:21 pm
From: Brodie Lewis <brodietlewis...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Aristophanes gets a new visitor
I birded at the Audubon area last Monday midday and saw three Ravens
hanging out with Ari. It was bittersweet. Reminded me of being in Taiwan,
where the best place to see formosan blue magpies was at an outdoor cage
that held recovering birds, and all the locals would come hang out with
them. Given all I've learned about avian intelligence (The Genius of Birds)
it really makes me wonder what they're thinking about, at the risk of
anthropomorphism.

Thanks for the note, it was the most memorable moment of my trip there.

Brodie

On Jul 15, 2017 7:13 PM, "Andy Frank" <andydfrank...> wrote:

> Aristophanes is the name of a Common Raven, an "ed bird," at Portland
> Audubon (info about him is at http://audubonportland.org/wcc/edbirds/raven).
> Aristophanes, or Ari, can be quite enjoyable to visit, as he will sometimes
> vocalize what sounds like "hi Ari."
>
> For awhile now he has been getting visits from 2 wild Common Ravens.
> Aristophanes' cage is a large wire cage so he can see out in all
> directions. Often the wild ravens will land on top of his cage and then
> they seem to have a conversation.
>
> I've heard from a volunteer at Audubon that today Aristophanes was visited
> by 3 Common Ravens, and to the observer, one appeared to be a recently
> fledged bird.
>
> It's been assumed Common Ravens have been nesting in Forest Park, but I'm
> not sure there was ever proof before, so I like this story because now
> there's proof, but even more so because I love the idea that these wild
> ravens treat Ari as one of their own, and apparently wanted to introduce
> their new chick to him.
>
> Andy Frank

Join us on Facebook!