Date: 7/15/17 7:13 pm
From: Andy Frank <andydfrank...>
Subject: [obol] Aristophanes gets a new visitor
Aristophanes is the name of a Common Raven, an "ed bird," at Portland
Audubon (info about him is at http://audubonportland.org/wcc/edbirds/raven).
Aristophanes, or Ari, can be quite enjoyable to visit, as he will sometimes
vocalize what sounds like "hi Ari."

For awhile now he has been getting visits from 2 wild Common Ravens.
Aristophanes' cage is a large wire cage so he can see out in all
directions. Often the wild ravens will land on top of his cage and then
they seem to have a conversation.

I've heard from a volunteer at Audubon that today Aristophanes was visited
by 3 Common Ravens, and to the observer, one appeared to be a recently
fledged bird.

It's been assumed Common Ravens have been nesting in Forest Park, but I'm
not sure there was ever proof before, so I like this story because now
there's proof, but even more so because I love the idea that these wild
ravens treat Ari as one of their own, and apparently wanted to introduce
their new chick to him.

Andy Frank

Join us on Facebook!