Date: 7/15/17 3:45 pm
From: Yong Kong <yklitespeed...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Harvey T's Birding Stuff/Brig and remembering Howard Eskin
To Follow-up on Harvey T’s recent comment about the shorebird migration at Brig and his take on the Long-billed Dowitcher ID, please allow me to share my thoughts and my fond memories of seeing Howard Eskin at Brig. For some reason I think of Howard more often while the shorebird numbers are increasing at Brig.

I can not find the photo of a Long-billed Dow that Howard took from Brig sometime July 13, 2013 or 2014 (?). If I recall, as an internet birder that I was even back then, Howard posted the photo of the Dowitcher on his website and ID’ed it as a Long-billed. My guess is he may have received some private comments that the bird was a short-billed. This Dowitcher did not have the text-book field guide look of a long-billed, but Howard persisted and consulted experts who agreed that his ID was a correct one. Howard’s website link below shows some of the wish birds in our list.

http://www.howardsview.com/%21BirdWebpageIndex/BirdWebpageIndex.html

Even this morning while I was punishing myself on the ID of dowitchers and peeps at Brig, I so wished I would see him drive by in his black SUV with license plate that read “BirdPix” (?), with his long lens camera.

Howard, in my heart and inside of bird brain, you are so dearly missed at Brig.

Yong Kong
Camden County

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>