Date: 7/15/17 2:12 pm
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Stymied by a Sparrow
It looks like an immature Chipping Sparrow to me. Not much unlike the one in this link:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TPWed3zx2Wo/UdIQeznRF4I/AAAAAAAACGw/HRN8PI2MAus/s1426/IMG_7609.JPG <http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TPWed3zx2Wo/UdIQeznRF4I/AAAAAAAACGw/HRN8PI2MAus/s1426/IMG_7609.JPG>

Young Chippies tend o show up in somewhat unexpected locations this time of year. The bold post-ocular line, prominent malar stripe and moustachial line, and pale bill all look good for a Chippie to me.

Jeff gilligan

> On Jul 15, 2017, at 1:21 PM, Peter Nosler <pandmnosler...> wrote:
>
> Hello, OBOL
>
> Can anyone please offer an identification for this sparrow? I found it along the Clackamas River today. I was thinking it might be a Spizella of some sort, but I can't find any images that really match this bird well. I also thought it might be a Lincoln's Sparrow, but I didn't see any silver above the eye, which always stands out to me on a Lincoln's Sparrow. Maybe it's an off looking or juvenile Savannah Sparrow?
>
> You can see four pictures of the bird here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127388251@N04/ <https://www.flickr.com/photos/127388251@N04/>
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Phil Nosler

Join us on Facebook!