Date: 7/15/17 12:12 pm
From: Mike Epler <jmepler...>
Subject: Roseate Spoonbill, Conejohela Flats, Lancaster County
Roseate Spoonbill was not a bird that I ever expected to see in Pennsylvania, but that's just what happened this morning. I'd like to thank Zach Millen for encouraging me to bird the Flats with him this morning. We were hoping to get an ibis or some of the American Avocet that have been moving lately. We didn't have either of those, but a Roseate Spoonbill was a pretty good "consolation" prize. Shortly after finding the bird it flushed and flew almost directly over our heads. We had a good, but far too brief look at the bird. Wanting a better look, we split up and checked around the islands hoping to relocate it up river. While we were looking to the north the bird flew back to Seaside Island where it was observed by several birders from the boat ramp area. It then flushed, and was not seen again until I found it just upriver from Blue Rock Road at 11:30. Numerous birders watched it feeding for several minutes before it flew into the trees on an island just up river.

I just had a report that it is currently being seen in a tree from near route 999.

There are several pictures of it in the eBird checklist below.

Mike Epler

Middletown, PA

<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38145482>

Join us on Facebook!