Date: 7/15/17 11:43 am
From: Dave Leibert <xdave...>
Subject: Peregrines, Northampton county
Howdy all,

I had a little time to kill to I figured I would look to see how the
resident peregrines were doing in Northampton county.

In the twilight last night an adult, possibly female, was perched on
the tower on the other side of the river. This bird seemed to have a
brighter chest than the current resident female. When I went past the
building they nest on one of the fledglings was perched on their beam.
This was a male.

I parked my car and walked along the fence an looked up at this bird. It
made a few flights where it would fly in a circle and land back on the
beam. As I walked back to my car this bird made a mad dive at a small
bird like a robin that flew past their building. The peregrine jumped
off the beam and flapped a few times and was in a dive already going
pretty fast. It missed the robin at about 10 feet altitude over the
parking lot and flew back up to its perch on the beam.

This happened like 20 feet in front of mew so I was pretty stoked !. Its
amazing how fast and maneuverable peregrines are when they really kick
it into gear.Sue from Harrisburg has mentioned this kind of behavior
that the fledglings engage in while they are still around the nest but
this is one of the only times I've been able to see it.

Happy birding

Join us on Facebook!