Date: 7/15/17 10:40 am
From: Kimberly G. Smith <kgsmith...>
Subject: Re: strange songs from Indigo Buntings
Robert Payne did considerable research on song learning in Indigo Buntings... for example:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003347283712960

First year males arrive on the breeding ground and have to learn what song they should be singing by copying adult males, what Payne called intraspecific mimicry:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.2307/1938958/full

If they move around during the first year, they continually change their song to match the adult males they are with... eventually they sing the final first-year song for the rest of their life...

It is conceivable that these first-year males might pick up the song of another species...
When INBUs occur with Lazuli and Painted Buntings, the INBU males tend to sing a similar song as the other bunting species...
It is thought to function in interspecific territoriality and aggression... laboratory experiments have shown that the females can sort out which male they should breed with, although Lazulis have been known to hybridize with Indigos...

Cheers, Kim

Kimberly G. Smith
Distinguished Professor of Biological Sciences
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Phone: 479-575-6359 fax: 479-575-4010