Date: 7/15/17 10:18 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Not Many Birds Today But A Great Day For License Plates! Saturday 7-15-17
Hello Bird People,

When you go to Montrose in July it's in the hope that some large, long
legged shorebird will show up as you have almost no chance for a
migrant land bird. And although the odds are against you picking the
right day to visit we try anyway & so I did today. Some big event was
gearing up & the only entrance that wasn't gated was Montrose &
parking filled up fast. Another problem on big event days is if you
can get out after the event begins but that did not happen this time.

Saw Bob Hughes who said only Killdeer & Spotted Sandpipers were
present but the numbers of Swallows were impressive. Before I left I
saw Martins, Rough Winged, Tree, Bank, Cliff & Barn Swallows plus
Chimney Swifts. And after a while I added 1 Semipalmated Sandpiper to
the Killdeer & Spotted Sandpipers seen earlier. Singing up by the
Magic Hedge area were Yellow Billed Cuckoo, Warbling Vireo, one
Catbird & Yellow Warbler.

Escaped without being blocked in & made a Gillson Park stop to see if
any shorebirds were on the beach there but all I found were people
using the beach & walking dogs. No shorebirds but some Ring Billed
Gulls were there. Highlights were a female RUBY THROATED HUMMER
feeding in the Jewelweed & 3 young Sparrows which proved to be (I
think) Chipping Sparrows. Loudly singing were a House Wren & 2 House
Finches.

Top bird would have been the Cuckoo had I seen it but since I did not
see it Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the Jewelweed feeding R.T. Hummingbird
at Gillson. Runner-Up to the lone Semipalmated Sandpiper which I had
expected to be a Least Sandpiper when I 1st saw it. Not a good birding
day.

If you aren't a fan of License Plate chasing you can skip the rest
even though today was maybe my best single day of finding plates. Did
not find Hawaii or Alaska but along Sheridan Rd in Chicago I did see 1
each IDAHO, UTAH & MONTANA. Still on Sheridan but in Evanston I saw
WEST VIRGINIA & when pulling into a store parking lot on Touhy the 1st
plate I saw was from MAINE.
Since I had just seen plates from Utah & Montana recently Plate Of The
Day will be a 3 way tie between Idaho, Maine & West Virginia. I did
not start my July-Dec plates run very well but my mid month sightings
have been excellent.

Also a good day for the baby Prius C as it went 30 miles & got 64.7 mpg!

Al Stokie
Close to home in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: