Date: 7/15/17 5:56 am
From: Ted Nichols II <tanicholsii...>
Subject: Re: More on Spoonbill history in PA...
A little clarification on my initial history after further review and
editing: In McWilliams & Brauning's "Birds of Pennsylvania" there was a
1869 report of a bird shot on the Conestoga Creek in Lancaster. In 1924, a
report surfaced of a bird shot in 1844 in Elizabethtown, Lancaster County.
The text suggests the two reports may have been the same bird.

You can read the species account in PA in the book at:
https://books.google.com/books?id=RvkDk2kZe28C&pg=PA61&lpg=PA61&dq=birds+of+pennsylvania+roseate+spoonbill&source=bl&ots=G4j6LEpKAX&sig=jO76_A0OwJ_urbfjQeRebZJbilo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj6gb6Rm4vVAhVCWz4KHZdCC3EQ6AEIhAEwDw#v=onepage&q=birds%20of%20pennsylvania%20roseate%20spoonbill&f=false

-Ted

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 07:54 Ted Nichols II <tanicholsii...> wrote:

> Synopsis from Birds of Pennsylvania:
>
> First PA record since a moribund bird was found in Albion (Erie) in 1968.
> And this doesn't appear to be a county record, Birds of Pennsylvania
> reports one was shot on the Conestoga Creek in Lancaster County in 1844 and
> there is another report that surfaced of one shot in the same county in
> 1924 that may be the same bird.

Join us on Facebook!