Date: 7/14/17 7:01 pm
From: Jared Gorrell <jsgorrell...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET McLean County Northern Harrier
Hi all!
While looking for Upland Sandpipers south of the M&M Turf Farm near
Towanda, Illinois, I spotted a Northern Harrier female flying over a
soybean field to the east of County Road 2300E, north of County Road
1900N, around 8:45 AM. As it's July, I find that sighting a bit odd. I
don't have pictures, but between the long tail, bent, V-ed, black tipped
wings, extremely low-to-the-ground flight, and owlish face, it could be
nothing else. Also found a single lifer Upland Sandpiper, 20 feet up on
top of a telephone pole, in the same area.

I then went to Goose Lake Prairie and did NOT see the King Rails. Getting
to the site at 11:30 AM probably didn't help. However, a small flock of
Least Sandpipers and at least a dozen Caspian Terns flew overhead,
randomly. I also got a look at a male Northern Harrier, which further
confirmed my earlier bird as a female Northern Harrier.

All in all, a very odd if very fun day out and about.

Jared Gorrell
Formerly in Grundy, McLean, and Will counties

Join us on Facebook!