Date: 7/14/17 3:40 pm
From: Lisa Larson <lisafaylarson...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Allen's or Rufous leucistic Hummingbird - consensus
Hi Everyone,

Initially I was sure the flight pattern was very indicative of a young male
Allen's. Then it was suggested to me (by a non-birder) that he may be a
rufous. I scrutinized the tail feathers in shots I took and also in shots
others sent me. Then I wasn't so sure anymore...

The general consensus is that he is indeed an Allen's Hummer.

*I thank you all for your input* and I have learned to "listen to your
guts" on bird ID - especially if you are familiar with the species
characteristics. I consider myself a junior varsity birder at best. But
some days I feel like I know precious little!!! Birds teach me lessons
every single day!

Happy (humble) Birding!
-Lisa