Date: 7/14/17 11:34 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan Beach, State Line Beach & Illinois Beach South Friday 7-14-17
Happy Bastille Day Bird People,

With every one of my inland shorebird spots under water I decided to
check a few N.E. Lake County beaches. Only found 4 shorebird species &
none were very interesting but at least I could hunt for shorebirds.
Adam S was with at Waukegan & Illinois Beach & I did State Line Beach
by myself.

Waukegan Beach (6:30-7:30 a.m.)

I am glad to report that the COMMON TERN nesting colony seems to still
be functional with the same number of Terns flying over the area as I
saw last time (11-12). Any Gull that flies by over the colony is
chased away.

D.C. Cormorant (29 fly-bys)
Great Blue Heron (2 in the backwaters)
Great Egret (1)
Canada Goose (8) & Mallard (12)(also in the backwaters)
Spotted Sandpiper (6)
Sanderling (3, my 1st southbound migrants of that species)
Ring Billed (~80) & Herring (~8) Gulls
Caspian Tern (4-AD & 2-YG)
Bank & Barn Swallows
Marsh Wren (3 singing)
Red Winged Blackbirds

State Line Beach (7:50-8:10 a.m.)

COOPER'S HAWK (1-AD flew by chased by blackbirds)
Killdeer (4)
Spotted Sandpiper (2)
Least Sandpiper (2)
Ring Billed (~250) & Herring (6) Gulls
Caspian Tern (3)
Barn Swallows
Crow (1 fly-by), Robin (2) & Red Wings

Illinois Beach South Unit (8:30-9:45 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (6 in lake)
RED BREASTED MERGANSER (1-F in the lake, wonder where the other 3 went?)
Kestrel (1-M & 1-F along the beach but not together)
Killdeer (2)
Ring Billed & Herring Gulls
Caspian Tern (15)
Tree, Bank & Barn Swallows
Brewer's Blackbird (4 feeding on the beach)

Some of the land birds were Yellow Billed Cuckoo (heard 1), Eastern
Towhee (heard 1),
Summer Tanager (heard 1) & ORCHARD ORIOLE (1-M).

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Common Terns guarding their nests &
Runner-Up to my 1st Summer/Fall Sanderlings.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Wyoming parked in Zion &
Runner-Up to one from Utah seen on the Tri-State Tollway.

Al Stokie
In N.E. Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: