Date: 7/13/17 2:10 pm
From: Bob & Suzanne Hargis <bhargis...>
Subject: Dickcissel and Blue Grosbeaks
Hello Birders
Sorry for the snafu with the mail server. hope this goes out ok
Yesterday I got a call from Birding Buddy, Del Nelson about a singing Dickcissel and Blue grosbeak seen near Hudson in Fremont.
Went out quickly and found the birds with his fine directions described here:
Beginning in Hudson take the road northeast toward Riverton on 789. Take Rendezvous road also known as Hwy. 138 toward Arapaho and St. Stephens. Go .3 mile northeast and on the left you will see a fallen, but still alive, cottonwood tree. Wait and watch here for a singing Dickcissel to show up.. have fine fotos if you would like to see this guy. 100 meters beyond on the left there is a Russian Olive tree... there was a singing male blue grosbeak that flew off to the northwest toward the Little Wind river joining a female BLGB in some tall brush there..
This is my first Dickcissel in my 20 years in Fremont county and the first for me this far west in the state. This sighting is notable for the fact that this bird joins a large number of Bobolinks reported near Lander area this year... wet in the west has made this area look more like Nebraska and the Dakotas it seems
Good birding to all
Bob Hargis
Riverton

PS thanks again Del for this fine tip!