Date: 7/13/17 1:46 pm
From: Karen Lund <catbirder813...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Yellow-crowned Night-heron - Afton Forest Preserve - DeKalb County
While walking my butterfly route this afternoon, I flushed an immature
yellow-crowned night-heron. Unfortunately he saw me before I saw him so I
wasn't able to get any photos. From the Mcgirr Rd parking lot walk east to
the trail on the east side of the water. Go north on this trail past the
spillway to a now unmowed path that overlooks the north section of the
water. The trail is still obvious even though it hasn't been mowed. As soon
as I cleared the bushes the heron flushed on the right. It perched in
profile for 10 seconds or so in the bushes across the way. Then it flew
into thicker trees.

Karen Lund
Genoa, DeKalb County
<catbirder813...>