Date: 7/12/17 4:41 pm
From: Lisa Larson <lisafaylarson...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Leucistic Hummer I found yesterday
Hi Birders,

I got MUCH better shots today, and I believe he's a Rufous Hummingbird. The
R2 feather has a "notch". Do you concur?

Sorry about the crummy diagnostic shots - I will post much, much better
ones later:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lisafay/

I got infinitely better shots today. I got there when the marine layer was
still in, which helped a lot. I would say early morning in those conditions
or last possible light in the day would be best. They lock the gates at 5.

No, I didn't find the leucistic Anna's Hummer. I did look for him again.
The shots I saw from last week were painful to look at, frankly.

I did see 2 juvie Cooper's Hawks, which please me because I olny saw one
fledgling on June 14th. I also only saw one parent (who gave me a warning),
so I thought perhaps the other parent was with the other baby. I really did
think I saw 2 in the nest. Confirmation?

Oh, and here's the location! Head east from the offices and turn right on
the wide path that spans the arboretum. After the picnic bench keep going
until you reach the next left you can take and head east. Look for the
collibah tree with the plaque. I left a white chair across from the low
grevillea. He loves to sit in the coolibah "Waltzing Mathilda" tree.
Someone PLEASE help me get that song out of my head! A woman read the
plaque under the tree yesterday and began singing it. Help! He can keep an
eye on his domain from there. The collibah is a type of eucalyptus. He will
dive from there if a hummer approaches "HIS" low-growing grevillea, which
is on the next path to the east. He also will perch in the growth behind
the grevillea in the shadows and attack if an intruder tries to sip from
HIS nectar. He sure acts like a Rufous. Oops - is that species profiling?

Happy Birding,
-Lisa

Virus-free.
www.avg.com