Date: 7/12/17 2:28 pm
From: Terry Butler <twbutler1941...>
Subject: Bald Knob NWR
Went birding at the refuge today. There are beginning to be more
shorebirds. Last Saturday there were maybe a dozen Least sandpipers and a
dozen White pelicans, also the most Black-necked stilts I've seen at one
time (150+). Today there were 3 Foster's terns, maybe a dozen Black-necked
stilts, 300+ White pelicans, 100+ Least sandpipers, 1 Semipalamated
sandpiper, 1 Pectoral, a dozen or so Yelllowlegs, and the usual Herons and
Egrets. Also a Northern Shoveler, a few Mallards, a female Hooded
Merganser, a few Mississippi Kites, and a good look at a Barred owl and
Black-crowned night heron. I have seen very few Indigo Buntings, and
Dickcissel's on the refuge this entire season. They are lower in great
numbers. Maybe too much water in the spring at nesting time.

Terry Butler
Pangburn, AR

Join us on Facebook!