Date: 7/11/17 1:53 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: juvenile Yellow-rumped Warbler on valley floor
Hi Mark & All,

Breeding of Yellow-rumped Warblers has been documented a few times at
low elevation in the mid-Willamette Valley, but it seems to be a fairly
rare thing.

If I remember right, Jeff Harding found a family group at Union Hill
cemetery at the end of the Scio Breeding Bird Survey route about 4 years
back. That's up in the Waldo Hills near Silver Falls so might not be
right to call it the "valley floor," more like a corner of the floor
where someone kicked up the rug. There are some big old Douglas-firs in
and around the cemetery.

Speaking of fledglings, there are a lot of young CHIPPING SPARROWS out
right now, at sites with good-quality oak savanna habitat on the west
edge of the valley. There has been some discussion about their regional
decline, especially out on the valley floor. However there are still
some areas with robust populations, and the west edge of Corvallis is
one of them.

Yesterday I was looking at a bunch of Chipping Sparrows lined up on a
fence line at Bald Hill Farm yesterday (a couple of miles west of the
OSU campus) , and had to marvel at the variability in plumage. Some had
much paler ear coverts and weaker eye lines than the books generally
show. If I'd seen them on their own, I might have tried to turn one or
two of them into Brewer's Sparrows. However they were still getting fed
by adult Chipping Sparrows.

Another puzzling bird yesterday was a VESPER SPARROW that had paler than
normal ear coverts and no discernible eye ring. We've seen and banded a
few Vesper Sparrows with no eye ring, and some with with practically no
white in the tail, and/or very little chestnut in the shoulders. Birds
sure do make it hard on us when they don't follow the rules on field
marks! On this one I was halfway tempted to turn it into a female Lark
Bunting, and did take some photos to check after I got home. The photos
turned out lousy but do show the structure of the bird, and the bill
shape, which both point to Vesper Sparrow.

Also in the "frustrating sparrow" department, earlier on I heard what
sounded like a GRASSHOPPER SPARROW out in the middle of one pasture. It
sang twice, several minutes apart, then clammed up entirely. Also, just
to make things more difficult, there was a strong breeze (which can
"shift" the apparent location of a singer, a cool but frustrating
phenomenon that's sometimes noticeable in grasslands). So I didn't
manage to track it down for a visual confirmation. However it was on the
same hillside where I heard and photographed one a couple of years ago.

Happy birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier