Date: 7/11/17 12:49 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Air Station Prairie Dowitchers Continue 7-11-2017
Hello Again Bird People,

Just a quick post to let everyone know that the 3 Short Billed
Dowitchers seen & reported by John L were still present in the pond
just west of the nature center building between 1:30 & 2 p.m. today.
However, they did their best to make seeing them difficult! Found 1
sleeping behind a clump of vegetation but all Jeff Sanders & I could
see was a Dowitcher butt & not the bill. Not my idea of a
"year bird quality" look! Moved to another position & got a look at
the entire Dowitcher & not just it's posterior. Much better! Then it
started feeding & we saw it very well.

Fifteen min later I picked out the other 2 Dowitchers at the south end
of the pond. Best viewing was from the sidewalk near where you park.
We did not see John's Lesser Yellowlegs but did also see Killdeer (9
including 1 young one), Solitary Sandpiper (2), Spotted Sandpiper (4),
Least Sandpiper (16) & Pectoral Sandpiper (1, also had one here
yesterday).

Thanks to John for finding these Dowitchers & the report on IBET. This
was the species I was looking for here yesterday but did not find.
Guess I was a day early & a Dowitcher short. No matter, as seeing them
today was just as good.

Keep those shorebirds coming!

Al Stokie

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>