Date: 7/11/17 10:22 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Deer Grove East F.P. (Of Local Interest Only)
Hello Bird People,

Tried a forest area along the Des Plaines River 1st but as I started
to walk from the parking lot a very large (& loud) mowing machine
arrived making so much noise all the birds that had been singing then
shut up. Also, with no breeze at all the forest was filled with biting
mosquito's, This project will have to wait for another day. Decided to
avoid the forest & get to a more open area to avoid bugs.

Deer Grove East F.P. (8-10 a.m.)

Only expected nesting birds here today & I saw nothing that anyone
would be excited about so read on only if interested in this location.

D.C. Cormorant (3 fly-bys)
Great Blue Heron (5)
Great Egret (7)
Green Heron (1)
Wood Duck (4)
Mallard (4)
SANDHILL CRANE (1-AD)
Rock Pigeon (1 flock of 13 flew by)
RED HEADED WOODPECKER (1-AD)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (2)
Flicker (6)
Tree (~20) & Barn (10-12) Swallows
Blue Jay (heard 2)
W.B. Nuthatch (also heard 2)
Robins (12-15)
Gray Catbird (3)
Brown Thrasher (1)
Starling (6)
Warbling Vireo (heard 1 or 2)
Common Yellowthroat (9-10)
Cardinal (2 singing males)
Indigo Bunting (1-M)
Eastern Towhee (heard 1)
Field Sparrow (heard 2)
Song Sparrow (~10)
Red Wings (~10), Grackles (4) & Cowbirds (4)
Goldfinch (6)

Not much of interest seen today but Bird-Of-The-Day will be the single
Sandhill Crane walking in a field & Runner-Up will be the adult Red
Headed Woodpecker.

Al Stokie
In N.W. Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>