Date: 7/10/17 5:53 pm
From: <mcvetas...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Possible Magnificent Frigatebird Chicago July 9th
A fairly convincing report of a Magnificent Frigatebird was submitted to eBird today. The bird was observed by a non-birder near Diversey Harbor in Chicago, Cook County, yesterday July 9th. It was suggested to him to enter the sighting into eBird.

The observer was aware of the sighting's significance, but unaware of the presence of a female Frigatebird at Point Pelee at the beginning of this month. In other words, he was not influenced by that information. He has never seen this species before.

These are the observer's notes. You be the judge.

For me, I have typically seen this species soaring at altitude. Other than that, I don't see much wrong with the description.

"It was a very large black seabird with a white stomach. I'm very familiar with cormorants and it was certainly not one. It was much larger. It was also not a great blue heron. It had distinctively narrow, sharply-angled wings.

I called it a female because as I understand male frigatebirds have red throats. The white was sort of a smallish area around the throat. Its head was black. I don't recall much about the beak but it was long, I guess similar in shape to a seagull. I have never seen a frigatebird before. The most noteable thing about it was its size. There were gulls flying with it and it was obvious that it was much larger than them. It was flying somewhat slowly and its wings flapped slowly. It was very close to us since it was following the lake shore closely and we were maybe 15-20 feet from the water. It was at a fairly low altitude. There doesn't seem to be any bird of similar size and coloration."

Matthew Cvetas
Evanston, IL

Posted by: <mcvetas...>

<*> Your email settings: