Date: 7/10/17 3:35 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
It was Great Blue Heron Day at the Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk this morning.  As we stepped onto the boardwalk, we were treated to a flock of Great Blues flying in a rough formation.  As the GBH flotilla descended and soared just overhead, we were treated to flight antics that reminded this writer of scenes from Jurassic Park style movies.  Twenty-nine birders watched with awe all morning as the Herons flew around the central wetland, and sustained harassment by Red-winged Blackbirds who seem to have no fear.  Green Herons added to the scene as they darted around the Great Blues.  Quite a scene.  For the third week in a row, the Yellow-crowned Night Heron was in residence.  This bird doesn't seem injured, so we can't figure why it hangs around.  Our final total was 51 species.
Canada Goose  3
Wood Duck  12
Great Blue Heron  10
Great Egret  3
Green Heron  12
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  1
Osprey  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Ring-billed Gull  1
Mourning Dove  5
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  3
Barred Owl  1
Chimney Swift  4
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  4
Belted Kingfisher  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Downy Woodpecker  3
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  3
Pileated Woodpecker  3
Eastern Wood-Pewee  4
Acadian Flycatcher  8
Eastern Phoebe  2
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Eastern Kingbird  3
Red-eyed Vireo  4
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  5
Fish Crow  1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  2
Purple Martin  1
Tree Swallow  4
Barn Swallow  3
Carolina Chickadee  7
Tufted Titmouse  12
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Carolina Wren  8
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1
Eastern Bluebird  5
American Robin  25
Gray Catbird  4
Prothonotary Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  3
Northern Cardinal  8
Indigo Bunting  2
Red-winged Blackbird  29
Common Grackle  4
House Finch  2
American Goldfinch  9

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 7AM (8AM from November through March), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry GlasgowFriends of Huntley Meadows Park