Date: 7/10/17 11:29 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Air Station Prairie, Techny Basin & Techny North Monday 7-10-17
Hello Bird People,

Thought it might be a "rain out" today but it turned to be just a
"rain delay" as the rain was done by 8:30 a.m. So off I went to see if
the rain had flooded my local, close to home shorebird spots. Only had
time to check the 3 above mentioned places.

Air Station Prairie still has mud flats but only a little in the pond
west of the building & better mud flats in the pond east of the
building. Had 5 shorebird species there. But both Techny Basin &
Techny North have a stream flowing through them which had completely
flooded those 2 places & with more rain, some heavy, expected through
Thursday I'd skip them for the rest of this week anyway, at least for
shorebirds. I'll do a full day list for Air Station Prairie but not
the other places.

Air Station Prairie (8:55-10 a.m.)

West Pond

Great Egret (1)
Mallard (1-F plus 1-F with 7 young plus 1-F with only 1 young)
Killdeer (5)
Spotted Sandpiper (2-AD & 2 large young)
Solitary Sandpiper (1)
Least Sandpiper (5)
Pectoral Sandpiper (1)
SORA (1, only a fast look as it ran out from the reeds onto the mud
flat & ran back to the reeds)

East Pond

Great Blue Heron (1)
Killdeer (3)
Spotted Sandpiper (1-AD & 4 large young)
Solitary Sandpiper (3)
Least Sandpiper (4)
Flicker (3 together in a tree on the mud flat)
Grackle (4 on the mud flats)
Red Wings (a few at both ponds)

Flying over both ponds were Tree (6), Rough Winged (2), Cliff (1) &
Barn Swallows.
Flying by were Mourning Dove (2) & 1 raptor flew in & past carrying
it's prey which seemed to be a small shorebird. At 1st I thought it
was a Cooper's Hawk but it had pointed Falcon wings & the size made it
certain that it was a PEREGRINE flying toward the Lake Glenview area.
"Heard only" were a Willow Flycatcher & a Common Yellowthroat.

The only birds I saw at Techny Basin were a few Barn Swallows where
deep water is everywhere
At Techny North 3 Spotted Sandpipers were on the rock wall banks.
Flying were Great Egret (1), Ring Billed Gull (2) & Caspian Tern (1).
Two Black Crowned Night Herons were in trees along the banks. Only a
few Wood Ducks, Mallards & Canada Geese were swimming in the flooded
stream.
Like last year all the vegetation in the fields has been cut down
completely. This is a once a year project it seems.

Bird-Of-The-Day will be a tie between 2 birds only giving brief views,
the Sora & the Peregrine.

License Plate Of The Day for yesterday goes to one from Rhode Island
seen on the Dan Ryan & 2 days before that to one from Alaska seen
locally. Better plates than birds lately!

Al Stokie
Working around the rain in close to home Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: