Date: 7/10/17 8:50 am
From: Brendyn Baptiste <000000c0e1e11ab7-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Late Post--Marsh Birds @ Rasselas Marsh--Elk County
On Saturday morning, I made another visit to Rasselas Marsh to check on some of the birds that I had there last week. Although, this visited was way more productive. I first stopped at the beginning of Swamp Creek just up the road from the marsh where most of the White-throated Sparrows breed and there were at least 7 singing males present.

At the marsh, I decided to play a quick playback of Virginia Rail in hopes of trying to locate one. That one short playback brought me a total of 4 individuals (2 groups) grunting back and forth to each other for a minute or so. Along with them calling, a Sora made it "winnow" call twice. Then, one of the males kept continuously singing it "kiddick" song in the marsh about 30 ft in front of me. I got a fairly good look at him as he was singing. While this guy was singing away, I was scanning the edge of the marsh for the female, when instead I got a good look of a Wilson's Snipe sitting on a nest. Following this sighting, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs also came flying out of the marsh calling while making a couple of circles before flying off to the east. Lastly, the pair of Northern Harriers were observed flying together and calling. Overall, this was definitely a great visit, and this location provides the only know breeding location for these species (except Lesser Yellowlegs) in the county.

Good Birding!
Brendyn Baptiste
Slippery Rock, Butler County

Sent from my iPhone