Date: 7/10/17 8:07 am
From: Ragupathy Kannan <0000013b0ad14faf-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Fox Squirrel raids House Sparrow nest
Every summer I face the unpleasant task of having to discourage House Sparrows from nesting in my property.  They usurp Barn Swallow and House Finch nests.  This summer, they usurped a Robin's nest.  Before I could shoo them away, I had to travel back-to-back for several weeks.  By the time I returned on June 29th, the sparrows had babies in the nest.  So I let them be.
This morning, I heard a commotion outside.  Several of the sparrows, a thrasher, and a mockingbird were mobbing a Fox Squirrel right inside the nest.  The squirrel grabbed a chick, and, totally unperturbed by the mobbers, ate the chick perched on a branch a few feet from the nest.  And it went back to the nest, and this time ate something, possibly an egg.
The nest is empty now.
KannanFt. Smith

Join us on Facebook!