Date: 7/9/17 10:52 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: juvenile Yellow-rumped Warbler on valley floor
Very interesting subject. No yellow rumps here. But once in 40 years a gc
kinglet was gathering some hair strands on our porch where my wife cuts
family hair. Never seen in summer otherwise. Bob obrien carver or

On Sunday, July 9, 2017, Mark Nikas <elepaio...> wrote:
> Yesterday I had a juvenile Yellow-rumped Warbler in my yard west of
Eugene near Fern Ridge Res. In over 20 years here I've never had a YRWA at
any time in June, July or August. My property is between 2 nearby forested
hills (Oak Hill and Fir Butte) that have plenty of Douglas Firs in the mix.
> Do Yellow-rumps regularly breed at such low elevation sites?
>
> Other yard news:
> Western Bluebirds - I've only had a handful of sightings over the years
so this year's nesting pair is pretty exciting. I put up around 10 nest
boxes every year so nest sites have been available in the past.
> House Wrens - a pair has nested here annually since 2004. I have 2
active nests this year about 20 yards apart but only 3 adult birds. The
male apparently has himself the beginnings of a harem. He seems to favor
the first nesting female as he attends to that nest box about twice as
often as the other.
> Great Blue Herons - a small rookery in the firs on Oak Hill is active
again this year. They first showed up 10 - 12 years ago. This is about a
mile from the nearest water.
> Common Ravens - I have yet to discover a nest but they are almost daily
summer birds for well over 10 years. Their activity centers on Oak Hill.
1 or 2 birds have been the norm this year until 5 were cavorting overhead
yesterday.
> Golden-crowned Kinglets - 1 or 2 pairs around this year. Only 1 other
summer I recall them here. That year 1 was feeding a juvenile BH Cowbird
which was an amazing sight to behold.

> Mark Nikas

Join us on Facebook!