Date: 7/9/17 3:51 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Coos n' Curry 7/8-7/9/17
On my way south on Saturday stopped at Bandon Marsh and got my mud boots
out, here is what I found:

60- W Sandpipers
16- L Sandpipers
20- SB Dows
6- LB Dows
7- SP Plovers
1- SP Sandpiper

Seems like July is the easiest time to find SP Sands most years.

I then headed down to Gold Beach and then east up to the Bear Camp area
where I camped. The old burn area where I camped was loaded with
GREEN-TAILED TOWHEES also lots of House Wrens, MacG and Nashville Warblers
and several RB Sapsuckers. Also lots of OS and Dusky Flys and a few
pee-wees and Townsend's Solitaires. Only one Fox Sparrow. Did see one large
Black Bear and bear poop everywhere. Deer hung out in my camp all night
under the full moon. Hiked the Bear Camp Ridge trail late yesterday to
Brandy Peak (highest peak in Curry at just about 5300') and again today but
further. Trail is mostly the Shasta red-fir hybrid with grand fir, I guess
no true Shasta reds up there but some sure look like it! No luck finding
any chickadees and only Purple Finch. Did find a Mt Quail still calling
just below Brandy Peak. Best bird was a GRAY JAY just below the peak, only
my 2nd in Curry. Wildflowers were fabulous as always. Good views of Preston
Peak in high Siskiyous, Mt Shasta and Mt. McLoughlin, and the rim of Crater
Lake. Did not see anyone up on the Burnt Ridge road either day which is how
I accessed the area. Going down Bear Camp Road was loaded with trailers
pulling boats and Agness was scorching both days 89F yesterday but only 84F
when I went through today. Heard chats calling even in the heat but I
didn't stop!

Merry July,
Tim R
back in cool Coos Bay