Date: 7/9/17 2:46 pm
From: Mark Nikas <elepaio...>
Subject: [obol] juvenile Yellow-rumped Warbler on valley floor
Yesterday I had a juvenile Yellow-rumped Warbler in my yard west of Eugene
near Fern Ridge Res. In over 20 years here I've never had a YRWA at any
time in June, July or August. My property is between 2 nearby forested
hills (Oak Hill and Fir Butte) that have plenty of Douglas Firs in the mix.
Do Yellow-rumps regularly breed at such low elevation sites?

Other yard news:

Western Bluebirds - I've only had a handful of sightings over the years so
this year's nesting pair is pretty exciting. I put up around 10 nest boxes
every year so nest sites have been available in the past.

House Wrens - a pair has nested here annually since 2004. I have 2 active
nests this year about 20 yards apart but only 3 adult birds. The male
apparently has himself the beginnings of a harem. He seems to favor the
first nesting female as he attends to that nest box about twice as often as
the other.

Great Blue Herons - a small rookery in the firs on Oak Hill is active again
this year. They first showed up 10 - 12 years ago. This is about a mile
from the nearest water.

Common Ravens - I have yet to discover a nest but they are almost daily
summer birds for well over 10 years. Their activity centers on Oak Hill.
1 or 2 birds have been the norm this year until 5 were cavorting overhead
yesterday.

Golden-crowned Kinglets - 1 or 2 pairs around this year. Only 1 other
summer I recall them here. That year 1 was feeding a juvenile BH Cowbird
which was an amazing sight to behold.

Mark Nikas

Join us on Facebook!