Date: 7/9/17 2:09 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Burnham Prairie, Indian Ridge & Eggers Grove F.P.'s Sunday 7-9-17
Hello Bird People,

I hope you all did better than I did today but it would be hard to not
do better than I did today!
Except for 1 negative bit of info I would not have bothered to do a
report today. But some may be interested to know that I looked twice
for the 2 Snowy Egrets seen by Ted W yesterday at Burnham Prairie
without seeing them. Plenty of other Heron/Egrets there though.

My original plan was to make a quick stop at Montrose to check on
shorebirds but only found Killdeer (8), Spotted Sandpipers (4) &, by
the flooded beach, Least Sandpipers (2). Not a good start!

Then I wanted to look for Ted's Snowy Egrets which I already mentioned
that I did not find. Then I wanted to look for the Bobwhite reported
by both Walter M & Andrew A yesterday but I could not only not find
the Bobwhite I could not even figure out where to look! Tried the bike
path mentioned by Walter but could not measure where I was so finding
"south of 18th St" was not possible. That's what I get for not getting
location details from those who knew. My final search was going to be
for the Hegewisch Gallinule which I heard last week but did not see
but I could see by how things were going it was time to quit & try
again some other day.

I'll just give 1 day list & it's from Burnham Prairie (7:30-8:30 a.m.
& noon-12:20 p.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (7)
Great Blue Heron (4-5)
Great Egret (6-7)
Black Crowned Night Heron (1-AD)
Canada Goose (33)
Mallard (4)
Turkey Vulture (1 soaring)
Killdeer (18)
Spotted Sandpiper (4)
Least Sandpiper (only 1)
Ring Billed Gull (3-4)
Caspian Tern (2)
Mourning Dove (4)

Land birds included Red Bellied Woodpecker, Eastern Pewee, Eastern
Kingbird, Crows, House Wren, Tree & Barn Swallows, Robins, Catbirds,
Starlings, Song Sparrows, Cardinal, Dicksissel,
Red Wings, Grackles, House Finch, Goldfinch & House Sparrows.

Eggers Grove

The marsh had more Cormorants, Great Blues, Great Egrets & 3 Black
Crowned Night Herons & I heard 2 Marsh Wrens. The woods had both
Yellow Warbler & Common Yellowthroat plus House Wrens.

Indian Ridge (Just a quick look)

The Mute Swan family is doing well & the 2 young ones are getting
bigger although only 1/2 the size of the adults.

In fact Bird-Of-The-Day will go to the Swan family & Runner-Up to the
Black Crowned Night Herons. I hope my next try (if there is a next
try) for the Snowy Egrets, Bobwhite & Gallinule will go better than
today's attempts.

Al Stokie
Struggling in S.E. Cook County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>